One Day Doula
This training will help you quickly understand the Nashville birth scene and give you the skills to start your doula business. You can get support and connect with other local doulas and birth professionals when we add you to our Nashville Facebook group. After the training we will be here to answer any questions you have as you start your business and serve women. If you are interested, we will also send you information on volunteering as a doula in one of the local hospitals.
One Day Doula Training Covers:
9 am - 12 pm
• The anatomy, physiology, and emotions of labor and birth
• The role of the doula: Do’s and Don'ts / Fear vs Safety
• Hospital Environment & Staff Jobs
• Hospital Policies and what to expect at a birth
• Epidurals and Cascade of Interventions (Penny Simkins Road Map of Labor)
12 to 1 Lunch Break
• Doula Tools including Rebozos and Peanut Balls
• Pain Reduction Techniques Based on Neurophysiology
• Hands-on practice of labor support techniques and birth scenarios
• Fetal Compass Rose
• Creating Space in the Pelvis
• Postpartum and Breastfeeding
• Additional resources in your packet
• Finishing your doula certification and mentoring
After completing the class, you will receive your certificate via email and the exclusive digital Blissful Birthing Trained Doula badge in jpeg format.
January 11, 2020
March 7, 2020
June 6, 2020
August 29, 2020
Requirements for Certification:
1. Attend a birth doula one day training (9 -3).
2. Take a basics of breastfeeding class (online or in person) or be a La Leche Leader.
Choose one of the options below:
Listen to this class: https://events.iteleseminar.com/?eventID=99895665
3. Provide birth doula labor support to 2 clients and their families.
4. Create a list of Local Area Resources (45 resources in at least 15 categories)
5. Attend a childbirth class in the hospital or an independent class within the last 2 years (Free)
6. Go to EvidenceBasedBirth.com and read 2 articles
7. Attend a Rebozo class by Rebekah Porter ( $30) or via video class
8. Attend a Peanut Ball basic or advanced class by Heidi Duncan (www.expectingnewlife.com $45)
9. Attend Resolving Conflict in the Birth Room by Mindy Friebel (www.FoundationDoulaServices $30) or via video class
10. Baby Loss training by Rebekah Porter (Free) or via video class
11. Connect to the community by attending 2 different group meetings. Choose between La Leche League, ICAN, Baby Wearing International, or Nashville Breastfeeding Coalition.
1. Training workshop taught by Rebekah Porter who has worked as a birth doula for over 20 years.
2. (BBCD) credential: “Blissful Birthing Certified Doula” will be added next to your name to bring confidence and credibility to your business. Blissful Birthing has been in the Nashville community for over 6 years and is a trusted name throughout middle Tennessee.
3. Receive via email a digital Blissful Birthing Certified Doula badge to add to your websites and business cards (png and jpeg format).
4. Sample client intake forms, contracts, & birth plan templates.
5. Added to our exclusive Facebook page for Birth Professional where you can connect with other local doulas, ask questions, and get support.
6. Exclusive client referrals by Rebekah and through the Blissful Birthing website.
7. Never have to renew your certification or pay a yearly fee. Certify once and be done!
8.Complete the certification at your own pace matching your family needs.
9. Email support from an established doula. I am happy to answer your email questions.
The manual is available for purchase if you can not attend a training workshop
The website will be updated as trainings become available.
To register for the one day birth doula training please pay via the PayPal button above, Venmo (@Bliss-Birth) or contact me if you plan on paying cash.
I am excited to share my knowledge with you and help you begin your journey of serving birthing women to have a Blissful Birth.
If you have any questions please contact Rebekah (BlissfulBirthingTN@gmail.com).
Hire a Trained Doula
Courtney Baker: The Dazzling Doulas
Amanda McCaleb: firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth Ringer: email@example.com
Judy Edgell: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brittni Bates-Lester: email@example.com
Lisa Mullins: firstname.lastname@example.org
Donnicka Hodge: email@example.com
Kristan Gipson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Eugenia Thomas: email@example.com
Stephanie Borgman: Stephanieborgman@me.com
Krystan Hall: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stephanie Garthright: email@example.com
Kaitlin Elizabeth Loux
Sanielle Townsend: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lindsay Hamilton email@example.com
If you have taken the training, please fill out the survey by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) With this doula certificate where can you get hired or what companies hire doulas?
You can get hired with any doula group. The truth is that there is only one "doula" group around here that hires more doulas and they only hire once a doula leaves their group which is not very often. Most doulas start their own business or band together to start a group.
2) Are we signing up only for a class to get info on how to become a doula or is it an actual course?
You are signing up for an actual course. What I cover is listed above and will be a springboard to developing great skills to serve women.
3) Do we get a certificate simply for attending the class?
You will get a trained certificate at the end of the class that you will use if you want to volunteer at Vandy or keep on file for yourself.
4) Do we pay extra for taking a test for the certificate ? If so, how much is the test?
There is no test. Just a fun day of learning with you to know you are going to be a great doula.
5) Is the certificate good only in certain state or all over U.S?
It is good in any state. No state requires a certificate. You can just start your doula work. If you want to be hired at a hospital, some of them require that you are certified through the organization they pick.
6) How often do you have to retake the certificate test?
Never. Improving your doula skills depends on you. A test is not going to make you a good doula nor tell me if you are good at what you do. Your passion for learning and serving women will drive you to improve in ways that a test never can.
7) Does the certificate expire if you don't do doula jobs?
Nope! It is yours forever.
8) Do you have to report to the state that you are doing doula jobs for your certification to stay active ?
No state requires doulas to be trained or certified. It is not a job that is legally mandated in any way. Anybody can all herself a doula. It just makes the job easier if you have been trained.
9) How much does a doula get paid per job?
A doula charges what she wants. Nobody and no law mandates that. A beginning doula charges about $350. A doula who is certified will charge about $600. A doula with tons of experience will charge $800 and up. It takes about 18 hard working months to start and grow your business. Clients will not fall in your lap. You have to work to get them.
10) What is a day in the life of the doula like?
That is a very tough question to answer. There are many ups and downs. It means having your cellphone on 24/7. It means leaving everything at a moments notice to run to a birth. You miss dinner parties and birthday parties. To get a better idea of the life, watch L A Delivery Girls.